- Professional Experience
- Do NOT use highly designed resume templates, they can mess up the resume upload process. Here are some templates for plaintext resumes.
- Use an 11-12 pt font for regular text and 14-16 pt for section titles.
- Avoid repetition of verbs/phrases
- It must be 1 page!!!
- Export as PDF with a clean title that includes your name, the resume, and the year.
- Name: It is recommended that the name be set in a font size of 20 points. This standard font size is easy to read and will ensure that the name is visible and legible.
- The contact line should include clickable LinkedIn, GitHub, and email links. The font size should be 11 points.
- Include a super brief overview that includes some combo of your title/ type of role, years of experience, tech stack/area of focus & location (whatever fits the setup best).
-Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack | Typescript) based in Ontario, Canada
-Zoe Lewtan | Senior Frontend Engineer with 7 years of experience
1. Section Header:
- Examples of context for company:
-“Series C influencer payments platform”
-“Travel media website with 7M subscribers on Youtube”
2. Bullet Points:
- Each bullet point should start with an action verb and be quantifiable wherever possible
- Aim for 6 bullet points for the current role. Older jobs should have fewer, around 1-2.
- Start with 1 bullet that describes your high-level contribution to the business. Scale gets extra credit here (ie, the platform used by thousands of Fortune 500 companies/millions of users). This helps companies get an idea of what they worked on, which explains the rest.
Accomplished X as measured by Y by Doing Z
action verb + accomplishment + outcome
Bullet Points Structural Templates:
- 🏔By Features/ Parts of the Product
- API & Integrations: Technical Project Lead for a medium-sized project for the API team (of 10) to expand functionality on the API to improve scheduling workflows for partners. Integration used by 1000+ customers, 500k interviews scheduled in the past quarter.
- Identity Management: Implemented single-sign for Google, Apple, and Facebook social platforms across web and iOS clients utilizing federated identities in Cognito.
- ⚒️By Type of Engineering Work
- Frontend Development in React: Creating reusable React components. Using styled components for styling. Creating a State management system based on Redux slices and supporting consistent user experience across the app.
- Refactoring Frontend to React: from Ruby on Rails to React + TypeScript.
- 💥By Role &/Or Impact
- Drove changes to web infrastructure and deployment process for testing standards, increasing test stability and reducing runtime while increasing the frequency of testing. ( 6x tests, 10x runs a week, 10%-> 90+% reliability)
- Created regression test suite for proxy API to ensure performance with legacy API
- When possible, mention the reason you received a promotion or an increase in responsibilities
- Promoted to SWE after successful design and automation of new partner integration onboarding and building program
- For older roles, you can use even more of the context method rather than detailing your contributions.
- Led project for a high-performance game engine built on WebGL, a fully integrated automated test suite, advanced asset build, and optimization tools.
- Framework-powered multiple online games with revenue between $2-4 million.
- Type of Skills
- Technical Skills or Hard Skills: Job-related skills are those that are necessary or enhance your ability to perform a job. These skills encompass your knowledge and proficiency in technology, programming and coding, software development, and product understanding, among others.
- Non-Technical Skills or Soft Skills: Soft skills refer to intangible qualities, including interpersonal and behavioral skills, that can enhance job performance. Some examples of soft skills include leadership abilities, effective communication, creativity, innovation, problem-solving, and critical thinking. If you aspire to a senior software engineering role, like an engineering manager, it's important to possess these soft skills to secure a high-level position.
Ways to list employment gap in your resume
- More than 5 years ago = Don’t mention it
- Under a year = Don’t mention it
- Maternity Leave = Parental Leave
- School = Educational Leave
- Just couldn’t find a job = Personal Sabbatical
- Laid Off = Post-Layoff Job Search
- Family Issues = Family Care Leave
- Health Issues = Family Care Leave
- Travel = Travel Leave
- You moved = Relocation Leave